We are sad to announce that the 2020 Festival of Brass will not be going ahead.
We are, however, pleased to be hosting the 2021 National Brass Band Championships in Christchurch.
A note from BBANZ President, John Sullivan:
2020 National Contest
The management committee met again yesterday to review the situation relating to the 2020 National Contest. Given the ongoing uncertainty about what will happen when the current lockdown period ends, the likelihood of continuing significant restrictions on travel and gatherings, and the financial impact these restrictions are already having on your players; the committee has made the difficult decision not to hold the 2020 National Contest. This decision was not made lightly as we wanted the contest to proceed if possible and knowing there is some support for the major event in our calendar to go ahead.
We also believe that it is important to our movement that a Christchurch contest is well attended. This wouldn’t be the case this year given the number of bands who have already told us they wouldn’t be able to attend. For that reason, we have decided that the 2021 contest will be held in Christchurch from 14 to 18 July, with the Wellington contest moved to 13 to 17 July 2022 and the Dunedin contest moved to July 2023. On behalf of BBANZ, I would like to extend my thanks to the Christchurch Contest Committee who have put in a considerable amount of work into the contest so far, and we look forward to working with them to make the 2021 contest a success.
Over the last few weeks, we have heard from a number of bands both for and against going ahead with contest, and I would like to thank all of you for sharing your views. We wish your band all the best over the next few months as things start to get back to our new normal. If there is anything we can do to help or support you, please feel free to get in touch.
Take care, and all the best to you and your families safe and well inside your bubbles.
Sign up below to get alerts when new information is added to our pages!